We had a GREAT doctor appointment today! Yay! I'm so relieved after the last one. It was really emotional with that huge weight gain with my constant fear of gaining ALREADY there. Anyhow...
I actually LOST three pounds. So...amazing what NOT eating 24 hours per day and cutting out MOST sweets can do. Hahhahaha. When the nurse weighed me she looked a little worried, and I reminded her that I had gained enough for quintuplets last time and she laughed and said that yes, it was just FINE given the large gain last time. The doctor said that he feels something was "off" last time. My weight was up SO drastically, the babies' fluid was in the higher normal category, and my uterine measurement increased SO drastically. He of course, doesn't know WHAT, but was happy with the weight this time.
My fundal height increased 2 cm in the past 2 weeks, which he was also very pleased with. He was concerned that I might be growing too quickly at the last visit. 2 cm in 2 weeks is normal for a singleton pregnancy. So, I'm 28 weeks, and am measuring 37 weeks. He seemed happy with this.
He also gave me a lovely internal cervical check, which he says is still "nice and long and closed" just as he'd like to see. He explains he'll do a cervical check manually or by ultrasound at every visit now.
The boys heartbeats were going good and strong: Baby A 131 and Baby B 137.
I asked him a few questions today that were on my mind. I asked him about delivery. He said that 38 weeks is standardly known as fullterm for twins. I asked if he induced at that point, and he said that if I didn't go into labor on my own, that is the point (right AROUND 38 weeks) that he'd look at induction. So...it may not be BY 38 weeks, but right around there. He explained that with twins, the two placentas compete for room inside the uterus, and it's about 38 weeks that they've reached their maximum benefit and may actually begin to deteriorate. This is why they monitor twin pregnancies so closely at the end, and do routine ultrasounds and NSTs. He said that many go into labor between 36-38 weeks all on their own! I think I'll shoot for 37 weeks to be on the safe side ;) He believes that A is still head down, based on his exam. Here's to hoping they'll BOTH stay put head down and I can deliver vaginally!
I also asked if I'd need antibiotics for my heart issues, as I have in the past, and he said that no, they no longer do this routinely any longer. He explained that overuse of antibiotics leads to antibiotic resistant bacteria and can be serious, so no antibiotics UNLESS I am Group B positive, which they test for later.
So, a great visit! Next visit is in two weeks and includes an ultrasound! Hooooray!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Wow, sounds like the PERFECT visit!!! Good for you momma.
Post a Comment