SURGICAL CONSULT-
I had my surgical consult this week. Curt came along so that we could both take it all in together. The surgeon told me that I do indeed have a hernia (duh!). Really what he said, was that I had a "substantial defect". He said that most defects are the size of a nickel, but my defect (hole in my abdominal wall) is the size of a deck of cards or larger...really he showed us with his hands the size of the defect, and I'm trying to describe it in words, so I hope I'm doing it justice. He explained that what he'd do is to put a piece of mesh over the defect to keep what is supposed to be INSIDE in. He is a general surgeon, and what he said was that he did not fix the diastisis. He said that in order to fix the diatasis, we would have to go through a plastic surgeon. Curt and I both inquired more about that, as it seems that those things would be related. I really stressed that while I didn't want to look 5 months pregnant anymore, I really just want the pain to go away. The pain is harsh at times, and if anything gets NEAR my stomach, I writhe in pain, so that is the first priorty. He said that he thought that insurance would cover both procedures and that the plastic surgeon could do both, the diatasis repair and the hernia repair, so we took the referral to him, and have an appointment to see him on Curt's birthday (Jan 28). Hopefully we know more after that.
I did call insurance to see if the consultation and procedure would be covered with the plastic surgeon, and the woman I spoke with on the phone agreed that it would be covered, so we should be all set.
BREAST PUMP-
Speaking of insurance, when I phoned (as I must do monthly) to have the prescription faxed over for the breast pump, and have it approved once again through insurance for another month, we had a little different experience than we have thus far. The nurse at the insurance agency wanted to speak with me first, before renewing the pump, so I called her. She asked me to tell her more about the boys and why the pump was needed, so I gave her the basic rundown:
-They were preemies and I pumped for them when they were unable to feed
-They never learned to latch well, in the NICU or at home. All they ever knew was a bottle.
-They likely have a milk protein intolerance or allergy, as all fortifiers tried in the NICU would not agree or work for them.
-I am back to work and must pump for them
So the nurse said that she also had a call into our pediatrician, but needed to find out "what the medical necessity is" for the use of a breastpump. So I say, "okay" and wait. When she never calls me back, I phone her and she tells me that yes, they'll renew the pump for "one more month". The tone of her voice was that of "one more month, but this is IT." so I asked if this would be the last month. She said that it likely was because she was not given any medical reason for the pump. I explain yet again about their potential milk allergy, and the fect that I am not really sure what'll happen switching to formula, etc. She tells me that she has no diagnosis and can reevaluate if she does get one. Then she goes on to say that "it is not in your plan to pay for things because they're CONVENIENT" but because they're medically necessary. I wanted to laugh out loud when I heard the word CONVENIENT. Really? Convenient? I mean...convenient would be to buy the least expensive formula there is and have it work for them. Convenient is NOT pumping round the clock, waking at night to pump, endlessly cleaning parts and sterilizing them, taking time out of my work day 2-3 times per day to pump, hauling milk back and forth, heating, blah blah blah. I wanted to tell her to BITE OFF. But I didn't.
Instead, I looked at it as a sign that perhaps it was TIME to move to formula. I need to take several weeks or even a month to wean myself OFF the pump. BECAUSE I pump round the clock, I have a well established supply, which means ALOT OF MILK. I need to space pumps, pump less time, for a while, in order to signal my body that it doesn't need to produce as much milk. If I DON'T, I really risk mastitus and clogged ducts and PAIN from engorgement. So, we decided that this was really a GOOD thing. We were going to test out formula and the thoughts about how much easier our life would be came FLOODING in. Really. The thoughts about what we could do and the FREEDOM we'd have without having to pump... I or should I say WE were feeling EXCITED...hopeful. We just figured, yes, it stinks, and yes, they are WRONG, but...this is our sign that not is the time to switch. So...we thought about it and planned and decided to try it out this weekend!
FORMULA-
Well, we decided that we'd try the boys out on the same formula that Olivia did well on...Good Start. We were really thinking they'd do okay, because I have been adding dairy to my diet. I've had ice cream and they did fine. I had cheese...straight up cheese...and they did fine. In fact, I've tried about everything except straight up milk and they've done just great!
So, today, Saturday was the test! I made 6 oz bottles because it was easier to do than their usual 5 1/2 ounce bottles. I did half and half...3 oz of formula, 3 oz of breastmilk. Alec was first and he GLUGGED his full 6 ounces. I thought, "woo hooo!" He really didn't notice the difference in taste, acted the same...woo hoooooo! Then on to Evan. Same deal. Glugged his full 6 oz down and still was hungry, so I gave him 1.5 more oz of straight breastmilk. Curt and I did a little happy gig!
Well, then when Alec woke up, about 2-2.5 hours later, he cried, then puked. Not spit, PUKED. PUKED similarly to what Evan did in the NICU...I'd call it a large volume puke, that shot out his mouth AND nose. LOTS. We even had to suction him out to get it all out of his nose and his mouth. Poor sweet boy. And he cried...ohhh he cried :( :( So...I wondered if it was a ONE time thing or he'd have more troubles, so we decided to try one more formula (half and half) bottle .
But ohhh Evan. He was doing great, yes? Bottle number one went great for him too! Neither Evan nor Alec drank bottle #2 well...2 oz for each of them (they usually take 5-5.5 oz). Well...shortly after Bottle #2....Evan puked. PUKED. Not out his nose, but puke. Lots. Lots and lots of P*U*K*E.
Damn. Damn damn damn damn. It OBVIOUSLY didn't agree.
So here we sit. Wondering....
-Do we try another type of formula...the kind for Sensitive Tummies?
-Do we just bite the bullet and buy a pump, and commit to pumping for them for the duration?
-Hypoallergenic formula(I pretty much know I don't want to do hypoallergenic...too.damn.expensive)
Bah. Double Bah.
WORK-
Being back to work is going great! Other than having to pump at work...that is a little hard at times. Not the actual PUMPING...that is fine. I can just lock my door and put my "in session" sign up, and no one bothers me. But the time it takes. Bah. I mean, I can definately put notes into the computer or make phone calls. It is just a big pain...but then again, it's a big pain in general.
But being BACK is good. Really good actually. I feel like life is settling back into "normal" for us. I relish my moments with the boys and Olivia so much more...I just love being with them.
The only bum in work is that the best friend I've ever met, whom I happened to work with, left the agency this week. She got an amazing job offer at another county, and absolutely couldn't pass it up. She will do AMAZING there, but my heart does hurt a little without her there. I know I'll see her lots, we'll talk on the phone...lots. We'll always be friends. Close. But sad...
OLIVIA-
Sweet Olivia is doing great. Funny as EVER. She comes up with the FUNNIEST things. So many goofy sayings. This is a FUN fun age. I just don't ever want her to get lost in the shuffle. She is SUCH an amazing kid. BIG 4 year old girl. Ohhh boy do I love her.
Here's our beautiful girl...



No comments:
Post a Comment