Thursday, January 29, 2009

January 28, 2009

Happy Golden Birthday Curt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is Curt's golden birthday! How did we celebrate you ask? By going to see the Plastic Surgeon! If you'll recall, we went about 2 weeks ago to the general surgeon for my hernia and diastasis recti (muscle separation/thinning of my abdominial muscles), but he would only fix the hernia. So, he sent us to the Plastic Surgeon.

When we walked into the waiting room, it really was a waiting room such that I'd never seen before. VERY pretty, VERY upscale. It had wooden columns and pillars, beautiful couches, fancy end tables...you get the picture. Very pretty. I told Curt that I thought it was BEAUTIFUL in there and he reminded me that we WERE in a plastic surgeon's office, and MOST that went there paid for their procedures out of pocket and likely had some money, so they probably cater to them and style things nicely to make a good impression, and keep them coming back. I'm sure he's right.

We LOVED the office, and the doctor. It was a very laid back environment. We first could tell just how laid back by the medical assistant's conversations with us. She talked with us at length about our twins, and chatted about her baby boy that was born just a month after ours, and then told us she'd go and let "Brian" know we were ready. NOT Doctor blah blah...."Brian". So he came in, and also introduced himself as "Brian". We talked, and he examined my belly. Let me just tell you, that it does not feel GOOD when someone is pushing around a paintul hernia like kneading bread dough :( Of course, he HAD to in order to get an idea of how big the hernia is, and what he'd need to do in order to fix both the hernia and the diastasis.

He also said that I had a "good sized" hernia, and that he would definately be able to help. He said that what he'd like to do, is make a regular incision very near my C-Section scar, and would go in that way, and make the repairs. He will be actually sewing the muscles back together, from my understanding. He warned me about a few things related to this procedure:
-It will definately be painful. He said that it'll hurt :( I asked if it'd hurt more than the C-Section, because I didn't think the C-Section was TERRIBLE, and he said "Ohhhhh yeah". I asked why, and he said that it was because I'd have the incision, but also because of all of the work he'll have to do with the muscles, so I'll have incisional pain AND muscular pain.

-He said I'll need help for a couple days for sure with everything, even the basics. He told me to think about how I usually put my shoes on, and to remember that I won't really be able to bend or twist after surgery.
-No lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 2-3 months. Yes, you read it...2-3 MONTHS. And yes, my babies weigh more than a gallon of milk. So, essentially, I can't care for them for 2-3 months. Yowzers. This is the thing that I feel most sad about. I can feed them if Curt hands them to me, and when I'm well enough to get up and down off the floor, I can change them. I just can't lift them. JUST...that word is funny when you think about it in this situation. I can't lift them...THINK about what that means to the care of babies. I can't get them when they cry, I can't lift them out of their bed/swing/bouncie, I can't really bend down to put their nuks in (in the beginning), I can't change them (at first) because we change them on the floor, I can't do much :( THAT makes me sad. I also feel guilty because Curt's load will be tremendous. Think of all he'll have to do, as I sit twiddling my thumbs :( He tells me that he ABSOLUTELY does not mind, but I feel bad. He will undoubtebly become overwhelmed with that load. He tells me not to feel bad, and if I feel bad at all, only because *I* cannot hold the boys, not because of what he will need to do. Thank heavens for a supportive husband!
-I may need to stay overnight 1 night. He encouraged me to consider it, as the first night will be painful and life is hectic with three kids and may not promote pain management.
-I will likely need to be off of work (again) for 3 or so weeks. While I really don't MIND, I worry most about finances :( Our finances DEFINATELY took a hit in December when I wasn't working and we had Christmas expenses. I am VERY nervous about MORE weeks off. I may need to use up my vacation and all paid hours to get by. And...this stinks. I hate to burn my vacation and such :( I mean, I'll be able to earn comp time that will offset having no vacation, but that still means working extra hours, etc in order to HAVE time to take off for a day off or a weeks vacation like we take in June. I just hope we don't get strapped any tighter financially with this :(
-I will have to wear a support for 6-12 months after surgery, day and night.

And perhaps the coolest part of the surgery, is due to the nature of the procedure, all the repair that's needed, and the fact that a plastic surgeon is doing it, I get a tummy tuck with the procedure! I'm sure they don't like to leave loose skin, etc. because it does not bode well with keeping muscles, etc where they should be, so woo hoo. After carrying twins, you can imagine what my belly looks like... I'm super happy about this!

He did warn me that with an umbilical hernia as extensive as mine, there CAN be tissue damage around th ebelly button area. He said that I may or may NOT come out of surgery with a belly button. Weird. He said that if he can tell the tissue is dying, he will literally just remove it, to prevent infection, etc. He will not know this until he is actually doing the procedure. I cringed a bit and asked him if he could MAKE one and he said, "well yes, but most people don't care." And then I thought about it...no one REALLY would ever see my belly or ever know that I was a freak of nature wihtout a belly button, because when would I EVER be exposing my belly? Bikini season? Um...no. So the only one that would see it, would be Curt, so I guess it's not a big deal. Still....weird.

So...they're flying it through insurance for approval, but said that since we went through a general surgeon first, and the nature of the procedure WITH the hernia, that it more than likely WILL be covered without difficulty. Then, they'll call mle to schedule it. Eeek. I'm so happy that I won't have pain anymore (I always wear something tight over my belly right now b/c the pain is so bad), and of course I'm THRILLED that I'll no longer LOOK 4 months pregnant, but the pain and the not lifting or helping with the boys :( Still...to not have the pain...will in the end be fabulous.


And one last note on the boys...I was busy getting dinner ready tonight for Curt's birthday. Curt's parents and sister were over for dinner, and Grandma called me over to see Evan giggling! I saw a small POSSIBLE giggle from Ev-a-roo. Not a huge big belly laugh, but perhaps a start of a tiny little giggle! I can't wait!

No comments: