Tuesday, February 3, 2009

February 3, 2009

We need a game plan. That is my big conclusion regarding this whole sleeping thing! We have no plan, and no plan for Becki = a stressed Becki. The issue with that however, is that I have no idea what the plan should be. I'd be perfectly content with the babies sleeping whereever they want until they are 1 if someone could tell me that one day, whenever WE chose to, we could just plop them into the crib and they'd sleep like angels. I just worry we're teaching them NOT to sleep in their crib.

I talked with a few people who tell me not to worry about it. In fact, my best friend in the whole world drew an analogy for me that really hit home. I explained that Evan simply LOVES to swing. He is not soothed with a nuk, or being rocked or patted, etc. He is SOOTHED by swinging, then just sleeping IN that swing. We turn the swing OFF at night, and he just sleeps IN it, but he LOVES it. So she said to me, "If he was soothed by using a Nuk, would you let him use it?" And of course I said YES!!!!!! So really why is the swing any different? She's right. It's not. The ONLY thing I worry about, is how long do we use it to soothe him, and when should he try to sleep in his bed? To which my wise friend told me that one day, he'd just "get" it...just as Olivia did. Whoaaaaaaa boy would that be nice. I will try for now, not to sweat it. I just wonder at what AGE SHOULD I sweat it? I am also trying to think about ADJUSTED age as really, they're only 3.5 months old adjusted. I don't think that any sort of crying it out should be until at least 6 months or so. But that is just MY opinion on that.

For tonight, we are testing out the sleeping in their room deal. Evan is happily asleep in his swing, in his room, and Alec fell asleep IN the bouncie, then moved to the crib and is now sleeping happily in his crib. Now, they FELL asleep probably at 7:30 or 7:45 pm. I will definately update you about where things are at through the night and into the morning. But for tonight, they're back in their room for a test run.

In other news, Alec has been turning over, tummy to back, like a mad man. I am SO shocked! I really thought Evan would do it first with his trunk and neck control. But in the past 2 days, Alec has developed some pretty wicked control of his neck muscles. Curt SWEARS that it's because we got out the exersaucer and have stuck hin in a few times (with many many blankets around him for support). Regardless...tummy to back, here comes Alec!!!!

And, I swore I'd never share these, but I have a few funny pumping stories for you. If I MUST pump, I might as well tell the good stories too.

Many of you already are aware that my grandfather on my stepmom's side passed away last week, and we had his wake and funeral on Sunday and Monday. This lends itself to long periods of time out of the home, which of course means that I must pump somewhere in there. Well, Curt had gotten me a power inverter, so I could pump in the car, and let me just tell you, that little doozie has become very helpful...and WAS helpful during those two days. I pumped in the car on the WAY to the wake and then on the way BACK from the wake. We decided that we'd stop for a 15 minute dinner at Culver's on the way back from the wake, so I had Curt pull up against a snowbank so that I could disconnect myself from the pump and get myself decent again to go eat. So I did...no biggie. We ate, and were walking out to the car. When we both got within eye viewing distance of the car, we BOTH noticed something laying on the ground. I immediately knew what it was. I screamed out "OH MY GOSH!!!!" and ran and scooped it up off the ground.







My pumping bra. (insert embarassed emoticon here).






If anyone is familiar with a pumping bra, it is much likened to a halter type top, that zips in the front, with two holes in the boob/nipple area where you hook your flanges up to the pump. So a nice big white piece of fabric with holes in the front was laying there for all to see. And really, if you didn't know what it was, surely it would have looked like some sort of kinky sex outfit. Let's just say Curt peeled out of the Culver's parking lot without looking back. And let me state for the record...there were no cars parked on that side of the building at ALL. Not one. In fact, in the entire restaurant, I think there were 5 tables taken, including ours. It was not the place to be on that particular Sunday evening I guess. Did I mention the superbowl was on? Odds are no one even saw it. But us. WE did. How embarassing.

And one more...just for fun...
Funeral day, Monday. Again, pump on the way to the funeral, and again, no issues. I am very careful to put the pumping bra INTO the bag this time, so it doesn't follow me out onto the ground, because the church was packed full and this time, someone surely would have noticed that funk. After the funeral, we proceed to the cemetary, and have a small service at the gravesite, and then commence back to the church for the funeral luncheon. And, I decide, that by this time, I absolutely need to pump again, or I'll have to wait through the lunch, and I knwo that wouldn't be a great option. So, I pump on the way to the church, and again it goes fine. I get myself back to presentable again, and strap down the pumping bra, and we're off for lunch. But alas, we leave after lunch, and when I get to my side of the car...what is sticking out of the car door, about 8-12"? Yes, you guessed it. My pumping tubes that connect the pump to my flanges/bottles. Hanging out, in the below zero chills for all the world to see and wonder what on creation is in that car trying to escape? This time, I chuckle to myself, in my sheer stupidity rather than embarassment. We are the last car parked in the row, with my side flush against...you guessed it...a snow bank, so really, no one would have walked over there or seen them, but my word. Two boobie calls in two days. Smooth.

No comments: