Things are going well. Julie, our favorite nurse, was there today. It's so amazing what our angel nurses mean to us, and how much easier they make the journey. Last night we were so surprised to see the boys out of their isolettes, as I had JUST had the conversation with Julie about when they got to come out, and she said that they weren't ready yet. They don't usually move them out of the isolettes until they can eat better, etc. So, this morning, Julie and I were talking, and she said that while *she* didn't think they were ready, she thought that it was her momma instinct that she wanted to keep them in the isolettes until they were 100% ready. She said we'd know in a day or so if they were doing well enough to STAY out of the isolettes. We'll know based on their stats (if their heart rates stay good, their temperature, their resperation rates, and their oxygen saturation) and also on their stress levels. Hopefully they don't stress and we can continue to move forward! Julie did put an extra blanket on each of them to be sure they're all snug as bugs.
Alec had three blood sugars about 50, so he's done with the tests becuase he's holding is own! Gooo Alec! He has been keeping his temperatures up also. Acutally, he was getting HOT in his isolette. The occupational therapist was in with the boys this morning when we were in, and fed each of them. Alec did WONDERFULLY with his bottle! His brother was a bit more disoragnized with his suck, swollow, breath technique. Alec did have a 9 cc residual this morning, which is quite high for him :( However, they still fed him his regular amount, and he had no residual at his next feed. So...they'll monitor his residuals as it CAN be a sign of stress (aka...being out of the silence and solace of the isolette).
Evan is up to 12 cc of breastmilk, mostly through his tube. As I mentioned, he just doesn't have the coordination to suck, swollow, breathe. He WAS sick for a while, and it does take a while to learn. Our big sweet boy! He'll get it....someday ;) No blood in his stools so far, so so far so good!
As for me, I still look 4-5 months pregnant :( I hate it. I KNOW I'm only 2 weeks out, but ew. I can feel that my muscles are spread quite far apart. I wonder if they'll EVER be back together, and my tummy will look SEMI normal again. Like I said, I'm not looking for Pam Anderson abs, but it'd be nice NOT to look 4-5 months pregnant when I'm not :( I will definately ask the doctor about it at my 6 week check. And I FEEL great! Pretty much back to normal. I'm not supposed to LIFT anything more than 10 lbs for at least 6 weeks, so I've been doing that as I am really not sure if my muscles are doing what they are supposed to do. Curt's been a huge HUGE help. He's amazing actually. It is good not to feel pain anymore! It took me about a week and a half to NOT feel the pain anymore, and feel back like myself (minus the huge belly). I took the steri strips off yesterday, and my incision looks great! Most all of the stitches have dissolved already, so that's great too!
My milk production has also been GREAT! You should SEE all the frozen stuff we have here!!! Wow! Yesterday, I pumped 47 oz! Pretty darn good, huh!??!!??! I think so ;) I'm happy to make a stash so that the boys will have pleanty of back-up when they come home! Can't wait!!! I'll add another update, if there is one, after our nightly visit tonight!
Until then, keep the faith, and continue with your thoughts and prayers for the boys and for us! Xoxox
8:00 pm
Well, we had a very short visit tonight :( We got started and up to the hospital in great time, and I knew I'd need to pump there (they provide pumps there!), so I ran Olivia next door and Curt got us packed up. We were there about a half hour when I tried to start pumping only to find that the tubes weren't in there :( So, we came home.
The only updates I have are that Alec's residuals were "okay" today. He had a 9 this morning, then a couple with 1 or none, but also a couple with 6 ccs :( The nurse said that the doctor said that he could have up to 20 cc's residual now, per the doctor. Remember...our doctor is out until Thursday. 20 cc's of residual is SO much...it worries me that she'd say that was okay. The nurse explained that according to NICU policy, based on his birthweight, Alec could have 5 cc residual, but that if the baby is doing well, and all other health checks out well for the baby at assessment, the doctor can and sometimes DOES allow more residual. It just freaks me out that he could have that much and would be considered "okay". I am EXCITED for our doctor to be back Thursday to check in with her about what SHE thinks. *I* pray that Alec has LOW residuals from here on out. Remember, his blood sugars were low, so they're now upping his feedings 1 cc per feed. Uggh. Always something to worry about. AND in our SHORT visit tonight, Alec's blood sugar was a 44 again (remember that it needs to be above 40, so he's close). His orders say to check him once per day...so certainly we'll hear more about this...
Tomorrow, I'll be talking with the doctor about (1) Alec's 20 cc of allowable residual and (2) his low blood sugars. AND, then when OUR doctor is back Thursday, I'll talk to her too. Hahahhaha. I'm not kidding :)
When we were there, I did get to feed Alec. He did great!!! Then, while I was feeding him he pooped, so I changed him, and while I was changing him, he apparently wasn't done, or my wiping stimulated more, and he pooped on his outfit. Hahahaha. Gross!
Evan is up to 15 cc and so far is doing well. No residuals to speak of, no blood in his pooper...good boy!
S'about it for tonight ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment