Evan's hand is reportedly looking "a little better". The doctor said that she feels it's totally benign, meaning that it really MEANS nothing. Just that he has a little extra water on board, which again could be from the protein. She'll keep a close eye on him and the swelling, but for now, he's doing okay. He did have a spit up this morning too. I think he was up to 22 cc when we were there earlier. He's still not interested in bottle feeding still...just a lazy boy! He's gaining weight nicely. He gained another 2 oz today!!!!
Alec's weight on the other hand, is NOT going up. She will likely add some fortifier to Alec's bottles tomorrow or the next day for vitamins and extra calories to beef him up. He's stuck at 4 lb 1 oz. Pip squeak!!! His sugars have been better since the every 2 hour feeding schedule, and the doctor is happy with that. She is moving his heel poke for sugar levels from every two hours to once per day again. She'd like to keep him at the every 2 hour feeding schedule for the next several days, even a week, to allow his body to build up some "stores" and help with his sugar maintenence levels, then try moving back to every three hours. Alec has been nippling nearly ALL of his bottles for ALL of his feedings! He's doing GREAT! The nurse said that since he's getting only 27 cc he's taking it great, but she is not sure when they move him back up to every three hours, 42 cc, if he'd have the endurance to take all of that. We shall see! He's doing well though!!! He needs to beef up still!
We talked with the neonatologist yesterday about RSV. Scary stuff for preemies (google RSV and preemies)! Basically, for us, it's like a bad cold, but for preemies, it's a HUGE respiratory issue, often requiring hospitalization, etc. She is going to try and get them qualified with the insurance company for a monthly RSV vaccination. If not, it is $1000 per shot, per child. Needless to say, we will not be able to afford them in the near future if insurance doesn't cover it! She also talked with us about the need to be VERY cautious with the boys in their first year, given their weak immune systems due to being premature. Keep them away from people as much as possible, lots of hand washing, keep them as healthy as possible! A tall order, but we shall try!!!
6:45 pm
We were back up to see the boys tonight. They're doing great! Alec is an eating machine, taking lots and lots of his feedings by bottle!!! He's a machine! Gooooood boy! Still at the every 2 hour feedings, so they're smaller amounts, but still! Good job buddy! I tried to breastfeed him again today. That boy just does not quite get it yet, but it's totally fine. I'm absolutely fine with him taking it from a bottle, as much as I'd like for it to work. Whatever gets him (and his brother!) home sooner! When we were about to leave, I could smell Alec had pooped, and changed him, and got peed all over. So...we were there an extra 10-15 minutes to clean Alec up and change his clothes. Silly boy!
Evan's hand looks much better! The nurse tonight said that while she didn't see it last night, she didn't see that it was cause for concern tonight at all. Yay! He's doing well taking his feeds through the G-Tube (Curt calls it a nose shake). He's tolerating them well with very low or no residuals. Yay!
I did get some more pictures of them, and when I get the energy (or bribe Curt), I'll get them off the camera and onto the blog! Tomorrow....gotta have something to look forward to tomorrow, right?
AND...I'm SURE this is what EVERYONE has been waiting to know, but I'll note it here anyhow. I am going to be starting to set my alarm so that I get UP at least once per night to pump. We have been running ourselves so ragged with no time to even rest, that I have been waking later and later. It was like 4:00 am, then 5, and well..last night I didn't wake up until Curt's alarm went off at 6:10 am. Needless to say I was in PAIN and pumped for an HOUR to get it all out. NOT so much fun. So...to avoid that...I will set my alarm for midway through the night. It'll be MUCH better then the pain. Yowzers! The things we do for our little ones....
I promise some DAMN cute pictures tomorrow. We put them in the same crib tonight just for a few pictures....I can't WAIT to see them and share!!! Cayute! Evan is REALLY filling out, and looks more and more like Olivia each day! Little Alec dude, has not put on much weight, so it's hard to tell yet...I think he may have his own distinctive look...maybe more like Daddy....but we'll see when he adds some Chub. We'll have to have Grandma Chi Chi dig out a newborn picture of Daddy to see...



1 comment:
Still checking in and keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers!
much love! melissa
Post a Comment