Thursday, February 28, 2008

February 28, 2008- Ultrasound Day!

So yes, today was ultrasound day! When you do IVF you have what's called a "viability" ultrasound at 6.5-7 weeks to see #1 how many babies are there and #2 how many "viable" there are...meaning that they measure the correct size and have heartbeats!

Things for us today went GREAT. I can't even tell you how amazing it is to see something your heart has waited for and longed for, for SO SO long I got teary on the ultrasound table and if you KNOW me, I'm not the teary kind of a gal.

So...first things first. I know your question aready and what you've been waiting for.....1 baby or 2 babies...or more? So...how about a picture to answer that question.....................
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...

Photobucket

TWO BABIES!!!!! TWO heartbeats!!!!! Holy friggin sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I STRONGLY believed this entire time that there was one. So much so that I would have little verbal thrashings at Curt when he'd suggest two. Last night, I even asked him what he was going to say to me when we saw our ONE baby in there and he said "nothing, because there are two in there." So today...ultrasound tech...There's baby!!!! Let's just look around to check how many. I tell her that *I* think there's just the one, and Curt thinks there are two...and she peeks for 3 more seconds and sure as sh*t...Baby B....

They label the babies A and B, A being whichever is closer to the cervix. It was a little harder to see Baby B because it's sac is higher in the uterus, and further from the ultrasound probe, but we were reassured that Baby is measuring EXACTLY on, and that the view is scewed a little because of the proximity to the probe...so....two babies. And we got to SEE and HEAR both heartbeats Baby A was at 128, Baby B at 134. Music to my ears.....Wow...what a day! We go in TWO weeks for another one. Looks like we've got bunches of them in our future!

The OTHER thing of importance during today's ultrasound is the fact that my ovaries are HaUGE...huge. The u/s tech said the right was measuring at 9 cm with a normal ovary at 2-3 cm : 3x the size. I certainly have OHSS, and have a few restrictions:
-Must take my weight daily. I've already gained 5-6 lbs, which *I* attributed to high levels of hormones making me far hungrier and eating more, but NOW seeing my ovaries I know it's likely due to the OHSS. If I get to 10 lbs I need to call the doctor.
-Call if I have pain, nausea, vomiting, real low urine output
-NO sex (aw what a bummer)
-No sports
-No Heavy Lifting, which they note DOES include Olivia. No lifiting Olivia : Eek.

So, I have not actually talked with the doctor about any ramifications of the OHSS, when the ovaries usually return to their former selves, etc. Hopefully tomorrow...and I'll know more then.

I DO know they will NOT affect the pregnancy, and everything looks GREAT so far.

AND.....TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: