Friday, January 25, 2008

January 25, 2008-Retrieval Day!

Today was egg retrieval day! We had to get up at the butt crack of dawn, in order to be there at 8:15. Actually, I was IN the retrieval room at 8:30 sharp. They were very on the ball! When we walked in, we were chilly, because it's so darn cold around here this week (today was like -4 or something ridiculous). The nurse warned me that it was 92/94 degrees in the procedure room, and that I was sure to warm up in there! It WAS quite warm in there, but I was not complaining as I was all fancied up in my hospital gown with not so much underneath it!

The nurse had some troubles getting my IV in. Actually, it took her three tries : She tells me that I have "thick skin". Hahahahahaha. If only the actual term "thick skin" applied to me and I weren't so darn sensitive ;)

In the procedure room, I got to put my legs up in the stirrups, but ladies, these were not in the usual position. Holy hell were they uncomfortable. Picture this (sorry dad): they had me pull my knees up to my chest, then relax my legs out to the sides...almost as if in the birthing position. It was interesting alright ;) But whatever works!

The anesthesiologist arrived and gave me something in my IV "to relax me", and about 30 seconds later I told her that I was feeling a bit weird. She laughed and said that dose was "nothing", that she would be giving me the "good stuff" in just a minute...and that's all I recall. I don't even remember seeing the doctor in the procedure room. Must have been some "good juice." Hahahaha.

I woke up to the lab tech calling Curt back to do his "part" in the day. He later informed me that they had movies and magazines for his viewing pleasure.

The nurse taught us how to the the dreaded IM (intermuscular) shots into the hiney and gave us all of our next med instructions (yes, there are more : ), and then the doctor came in.

And...drumroll please......We had 19 Eggs Retrieved!!! They guesstimated that we'd have 6 mature by today when we spoke with the nurse on Wednesday, so I almost fell over when he said 19!!! He said that when they get far more than they expected, it can mean that many were retrieved from smaller follicles and may not be mature. BUT...we won't know until they fertilize them with ICSI today, and phone us tomorow with the fertilization report.

Our RE was THRILLED with 19 eggs! He said he aims to get about 10, so 19 is great! He said that he was torn on Wed. because really my follicles were not as large as they had hoped, but my estrogen levels had doubled. He was concerned that if they doubled again, I could risk OHSS (Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome).

So...they'll call tomorrow with the fertilization report, which I will anxiously await! We will know more then as to whether or not we'll do a 3 day or a 5 day transfer.

Yay for eggies! Fertilize eggs, fertilize!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NINETEEN!!!! that's fantastic. you overachiever you ;) can't wait to hear what they tell you today. we're continuing to pray for you!

love love.