Saturday, October 18, 2008

October 17, 2008

Yes, it is 1:22 am, so technically it's the 18th. BUT...I MEANT to blog this on the 17th because the 17th was the twins offical Due Date! Just think....they were born 5 1/2 weeks ago already!!! What a worldwind it was!

Updates:
-Evan is getting the hang of breastfeeding. We have to use what they call a shield to get him latched on well and to not get MAD, because he is VERY used to the bottle, but with the shield he does GREAT! I am THRILLED! Today was the first day we used the shield since being home from the hospital, so I'm feeling hopeful that maybe just maybe we'll get it! I did try with Alec briefly, and he did okay too, but also needed the shield. It's so hard, as they have been bottlefed for the first 5.5 weeks of their life, so that "feeling" is what they're used to. So, we'll start here and see if we can go it without after a while. We'll just play it by ear. If it works out, GREAT, if not, I'm perfectly content with them bottle feeding my breastmilk too.
-Alec seems to be holding his temp a bit better, or he did today! We didn't swaddle him as much today. We still kept him dressed nice and warm with thick blankets, and he did just fine. Temp was right where it should be!
-Alec seems to be having a bit of a rough time. When we left the hospital, the nurse told me that he had a pretty substantial "spit up" earlier that morning. Prior to that, he was not a real big spitter, so we just decided to keep an eye on it. Since then, he's been spitting more and more often. And add to that, he just seems unsettled. It has gotten increasingly more and more in the past week. He simply does not seem comfortable :( I made a chart to keep track of how often he's spitting and how much, and also what his mood is since he went from a very content little guy to a bit more uncomfortable. We'll bring it to the doctor and talk with the doctor about it. I just wonder if it's the formula :( So, we'll be asking him Tuesday. Poor little dude.
-Olivia is doing a bit better. She does not appear jealous of the boys. As I've mentioned to many of you, she is more of an "over involved" big sister. She wants to hold her baby brothers all day and night. Depending upon what the babies are doing (eating or sleeping, etc.) and what Curt and I are doing, holding her brothers is not always possible, but we do try! We keep her involved...getting diapers, wipes, helping fill bottles, etc, and she is doing pretty well. We have a few "non-negotiables"...no picking them up (mommy and daddy will do that!), no pushing their swings unless mommy or daddy asks her to give them a GENTLE push (she likes to give them BIG pushes!), and be Gentle! She is really doing pretty well. We love her so so so much and want her to feel included and loved, etc.

Happy due date boys!

No comments: