Saturday, October 25, 2008

October 24, 2008

Well, we started Alec on the reflux medication on Tuesday evening, and I can't say it's made a big difference so far. The doctor did say it could take a few days, so who knows, but as of now... I guess the jury's still out. We went down to the 22 calorie recipe of the same fortifer (so half of what he was getting) and like I said...he seems mostly the same.

SO...we're doing the last thing that the neonatologist suggested. We're taking him off the fortifier for a few days as a "test". We'll keep him in the hindmilk only for a few days to see if he seems more comfortable. If he DOES, then we know it's the fortifier. If he DOESN'T, then it's not the fortifer, and may just be reflux causing his discomfort, and he will stay on his Enfacare. If it is better on just the hindmilk alone, without the fortifier, then we may go to Nutramigen (the expensive hypoallergenic formula). The neonatologist said that she'd REALLY like to make the EnfaCare work if POSSIBLE because it's specially formulated for preemies, with all of the extra things they need, rather than the Nutramigen, which is NOT a preemie formula. So...we'll see. We'll have to see what he does in the next few days of testing ;)

As for me, I had my 6 week follow up today. It went fine. The incision looks great, and all is well. I was most interested in what was up with my stomach muscle separation. He said that I have a large diastisis, which is because I was stretched so far with two babies. He said that I should start abdominal exercises and see how it looks in 6 months. At about the 6 month mark, it'll be about as good as it can get with exercise alone. If it isn't better, then he'll refer me to a surgeon. He said it's plastic surgery, but likely would be covered. I also have a hernia, that may or may not go back on it's own. This is why my belly button continues to protrude, etc. So...I'll be on top of the abdominal exercises. Hope they help! If not, I'm okay with a surgical repair as well. I can't see living looking like the doctor missed Alec and Evan's triplet. Hahahhaah.

Evan's doing well. He's porking up for sure. His face is so round and plump. I bought an infant scale online and it should be here in a week or so. I can't wait to track their weights!

I am also going to TRY to take pictures of the boys tomorrow for their birth announcements! Wish me lots of luck and time to be able to do it!!! I refused to send out announcements with photos of them in the hospital, with or without tubes coming out of their faces. It's time to announce our boys, and for that, Momma will take some special pictures!!!!

Big sister Olivia is doing great as well. She loves to give "her babies" hugs and kisses. Very sweet actually. She loves to get the bottles for us off the counter, and tonight told Curt to sit down so she could bring it to him. Then when he had it, she walked to her room and told him to "call for her" if he needed more help. hahahaha. She's so silly. She has also taken to calling small bites of food, "Alec bites". So, for example, if we tell her she needs to take 5 more bites, and she eats one grain of rice as a bite, we'd tell her not to take an "Alec bite" but to take a big girl bite. Now she says, "was that an Alec bite?" Hehe!

Life is good. We are thankful.

Xoxox

No comments: