Anyhoo...she'd like to keep Alec off the fortifier until Monday to give it a full test. He does seem better...certainly not happy go lucky but a tad better. Now...I don't know if he seems better because *I* have worried so much after the boys' track record with fortifiers that *I* think it's so much worse with him ON the fortifer. I really don't know. He does seem to spit up less volume, but then again, he still has some big spits. I want to say he seems more comfortable too, but again...not sure if it's all in my head. I like knowing he's not on it though, and that it's NOT causing him any pain. So...we'll see in the next few days how it goes. We'll phone the doctor back Monday. She said that if he seems better that we can TRY him off a fortifier and see how his weight gain goes.
I don't really think his reflux med is doing much...but again...not really sure. I'll talk with the doctor about it Monday too.
She said babies that are born small, like Alec, who had IUGR, often have an enormous appetite and take huge quanties of milk, because they are very hungry and their bodies know that they NEED it. Yet, their tummies get distended and it can at times be uncomfortable for them, until they grow into a more newborn stature. Their muscles get stronger, and their tummies don't distend like that. So this could be part of it as well. She said it COULD be the fortifier given their track record, but she didn't really feel the green stool was due to that, or it would have happened sooner. It could be a touch of reflux. I did mention that the medicine didn't seem to do much. She said there is a higher dose he can be on, but I didn't push the issue with her. I don't know...I really just don't think it's reflux, but don't know of course.
Evan is good. Big round and chubby ;) He's a love. So is Alec of course! We love them so darn much.
Sleep deprivation got the best of me. I called for reinforcements today (thanks Mike!) and got to take a 2 hour nap. Holy moses! I feel like a new woman! I could have slept for 190 hours, but wow...2 hours made me feel HUMAN again. It's easy to feel so disconnected from everything when you're absolutely exhausted. I felt GREAT all day, for the first time in a little bit! AND...my Mom and Mike are going to take a full night shift on Friday for us. A full night's sleep....if you could only KNOW how excited I am. Curt and I can recharge our batteries and go back at it ;) Listen to me...talking like it's war. We KNOW how blessed we are, and we KNOW that this will only be a short time of our lives, but gosh. Right NOW it's so so so busy!!!!! We had another rough night with them last night. Alec wouldn't settle. He ate an UNPRECIDENTED 5 ounces (maybe even 5.5). He just would not settle and would not settle so we tried another ounce and he guzzled it, and then another, and he took that down too. When we FINALLY got them BOTH down, it left little time for sleep until the next feeding. Life is definately different with TWO newborns than one. Not just ONE to settle in, but two. Get one settled in, and the next needs you. *yawn* Amazingly perfect miracles, but exhausting little dudes!
I called today and scheduled their Synagis shots. These are the shots to help protect them from RSV. Remember...these shots are automatically covered for preemies earlier than 32 weeks, but 33/34 is touchy. But, the boys had a few extra risk factors that helped them get approved- they're multiples, and a sibling in daycare. They were approved from our insurance to receive the shots, which is such a huge blessing!!! These shots must be given every 28-30 days to maintain effectiveness, so they need one per month. And did I mention that when they are NOT covered by insurance, they cost about $1000 per shot, per month? Yeah, needless to say we feel very greatful that they were covered. Anyhow, because of their prematurity and the need to keep them away from crowds, etc., the nurses come right to the house to give the shots! They'll get their first shots on Monday. Wish us luck. Poor little dudes. Still, it's important that they are protected.
Alrighty...only 40 minutes until feeding time, and I need to wash bottles! The story of my life! Hehehe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2:14 am- Alec just took 5 ounces! Holy macaroni. That's alot of milk for one small bearly 6 lb baby.
Here are a couple pictures from our photo shoot the other day. I have not had time to go back down and do anymore with them...soon I hope! But here are a few:
Both Babies: Evan on the top of the photo, Alec on the bottom

Evan

Alec



No comments:
Post a Comment