Tuesday, October 21, 2008

October 21, 2008

*yawn* Sleep deprivation is here now. It wasn't TOO Bad when Curt was off b/c we could split up the sleep into the morning, but now that he's back to work, it's harder. I'm very tired to say the least.

And tired also goes right along with BUSY. Here's a typical block of time for us that'll give you an idea of a normal day:

7:50 am Get Evan's bottle warmed, wake up Evan
8:00 am Feed Evan
8:25 am Change Evan
8:30 am Get Alec's bottle warmed, wake up Alec (often waking Alec takes a WHILE...he's hard to stir sometimes!)
8:30/8:40 Feed Alec (Alec most always takes a full 30 minutes or more)
9:00/9:10 am Change Alec
9:15-9:45/10 Pump
10:00-10:15 Clean pump parts, store milk
10:15-10:35 Wash bottles, assemble bottles, mix Alec's fortifier and prepare bottles, 5 for each baby

I feel like I never have one second to sit down. HENCE...the lack of posting on the blog! I have so little time it's silly. I'll try and squeak in a post here and there, but that is why. Life is SO busy for us right now.

Anyhow....updates!

We had another appointment at the pediatrician's office today. The boys are doing well, and this time I had a list of questions! But first things first...their weights/growth:

Evan:
WEIGHT
10/13 6lb 9oz TODAY: 7lb 7oz

HEIGHT
10/13 19.5 inches TODAY: 20 3/4 inches (3%/third percentile)

HEAD
10/13 34.5 cm TODAY: 36.3 cm (5%/fifth percentile)

Alec:
WEIGHT
10/13 4lb 14oz TODAY: 5lb 12 oz

HEIGHT
10/13 18 inches TODAY: 19.5 inches

HEAD
10/13 32.3 cm TODAY: 34.3

Alec is still not on the growth charts yet, and is in what they consider the less than third percentile.


So the questions:
Firstly, Alec. He has gotten INCREASINGLY more sad and uncomfortable. He has always been a little "grunty" but has really been spitty/pukey since he was discharged. He now spits at each and every feeding, often in substantial quantities. Add to that that he just SEEMS gassy and uncomfortable MUCH of the time, the fortifier we add to his breastmilk is pretty suspicious to us. We asked the doctor about it, and he said to go down to 2 tsp (from 2.5) for 3-4 days, then to 1.5 tsp (in 8 oz) for 3-4 days and if that doesn't seem to help, to switch to Nutramigen (the hypoallergenic formula). THEN we went up to the NICU (will talk about that too!) and got to see our neonatologist who was there when we stopped! We got to chat with her all about how they were doing, and of course we talked about little Alec. She said that she'd give us the recipe for 22 calorie fortifier (we are currently at 24 calorie), and that we should switch down to that, rather than the other step down. She said that if he's not better in a few days, to try a few days with NO fortification, and if he is the same, then we can rule out the fortifier (or determine that it was indeed an issue). So, that's the plan. I have to say that I love love love our neonatologist. She is SO thorough and I feel so comfortable with her treatment of the boys...I wish we could see HER instead of our pediatrician. Hehe.

A nurse also mentioned possible reflux for Alec. This is something we'll explore further if the formula stuff doesn't pan out.

We brought Alec up the NICU because he is well over 5 lb and he had his carseat test today! He passed! So bye bye carbed. I did take a picture of him in the carbed today without blankets on to keep for posterity! I'll post it later...when I have time...ahhahahahaha. Don't hold your breath..ha! So now we have TWO in regular carseats! Big boys!

Aren't their weights great? Big old Evan is 7lb 7 oz! Wow! And Alec 5lb 12 oz! I'm proud of them!!!

The doctor also wrote a prescription for the breastpump. I am hoping that the insurance company will cover it a bit longer due to medical necessity, since Evan can't tolerate formula. We'll see if we get it or not!

I think that's it for now...but my mind's a bit cloudy, and it's now 11:00 pm...time for another round of feeding. Oh, yes, and I asked how long we'd have to do the every 3 hour on the dot NICU schedule, and the pediatrican said we had to do it until they were BOTH 7/8 lb, so likely another month until Alec gets there. *yawn*

Lastly...I also received word that I've been granted extended leave for work, so I'm off until after the new year. This is a huge relief, so I can get over this preemie hump and get them into "normal newborn care". I am very happy about that! So yay!

1 comment:

The Atwood's said...

What big boys! I'm so proud of them too. I hope you get things figured out with Alec's spitting. Give them some love from us.