Tuesday, October 7, 2008

October 7, 2008

Busy day again in the NICU. They got a new baby today while we were there. We saw the baby wheeled in, being bagged, in the warmer...just like our boys were 4 weeks ago :( :( :( Needless to say, it brought back some memories! I heard the doctor talking with the Dad, and heard her say that the baby was 7 weeks early. Our boys were 6 weeks early, so really...it brought back LOTS. Curt watched them wheel the little one in, with the Daddy following behind the baby, and said that he remembered that walk like it was yesterday.

So, the boys...
Evan is still on straight breastmilk. It took two feedings (well...one and a half) and Evan puked all over! He has SUCH a sensitive tummy!!! So they pulled him right off of that stuff immediately and he's been JUST fine since then! I am SO thankful that I made the decision to pump, and that he has been able to be on breastmilk, because he would have had a MUCH harder time in the NICU if he was on straight forumla. He just can't seem to tolerate it. The doctor is greatful for him being on breastmilk as well ;)

I didn't get to speak with her at the hospital today, as she was busy with the new admit today, and then was over by the 27 week twins. I called and asked the nurse about her new orders, especially for Evan with his most recent feeding intolerance, and she said that the doctor has kept his orders the same. I assumed this meant she was resting his tummy, on straight breastmilk, before fortifying him with Nutramigen. BUT, she phoned me back, to talk about new orders, since we didn't connect today at the hostpial because she was so busy. She said that Evan is taking a volume of breastmilk, high enough that he may not need to be fortified afterall. She said that he is taking so much at 60 cc, that he is likely going to be getting enough calories from the straight breastmilk and may not need the fortification, as it gives him SUCH trouble. He has been gaining weight fairly steadily in the past week or so, and she'll watch his weight to be sure that it continues in the next week.

Alec continues to do well with his fortification. Actually, the doctor said that she is "surprised" that he's doing so well, but "will take it!" She'll be keeping him at 24 calorie to beef him up!

She talked to me some about their circumcisions, and may even do them tomorrow. She warned me that some babies have a little bit of a bumpy day or two after circumcision, and many have no issues, so we'll see! Hopefully nothing!!! We talked about the carseat tests, and the possiblity of Alec needing a carbed.

AND....DRUMROLL please.........we talked about the possibility of them coming HOME at the end of the week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy friggin crap!!! She needs to see BOTH boys continuing to EAT and to gain weight/grow over the next few days to a week or so, and then...IF they continue to be GOOD boys and gain in a steady fashion, they may be able to come home. My heart is palpatating with excitement. Now, this is certainly NOT a given, and we all know that it the NICU, there are ups and downs, and there are no "certainties" so I will try to contain myself. But, when I look down at the faces of my beautiful little angels, tell me how I can NOT get excited... My heart misses them.... Grow my sweet angel boys, grow!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7:00 pm

So, either the boys have listened to their momma or the scale is off! They both gained over 2 oz today!!!!!!!!! HOLY cats!

Evan is up to 6 pounds 2.6 oz!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a 6 pounder!!!! BIG boy!

Alec is up to 4 pounds 8.8 oz! That's a 2.2 oz gain for our small fry!

A part of me can't help but feel like the scale was off. Is that silly or what? It's just SUCH a big gain for BOTH of them. I asked the nurse (literally) if she weighed them with clothes on or a diaper or something. She said that she didn't....hahahaha. I told Curt that I was worried that it was SUCH a good gain that something was off on the scale, and that they might go down tomorrow and not show the progress and consistency that they want... He smiled and said that I'm not happy if they gain a little, and I'm not happy if they gain ALOT. I laughed. I *am* thrilled that they gained 2 oz EACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's an AMAZING gain!!! Silly Momma just HOPES it's accurate! Hehehe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amazing weight gains!! and some possible good news! I will say an extra prayer that things continue to go in the direction they are going and you get to take your babes home soon! Thinking of you!
Sarah from MoM's

KarenM said...

SO exciting!!! love to hear about them both gaining weight, and so impressed that you are continuing to pump...i know it's not easy. matty had a tough (fussy) time for a couple of days following his circumcision; hoping the boys do well with theirs! prayers still coming for you all. xoxo

-karen