Wednesday, October 22, 2008

October 22, 2008

Well, yesterday when we were in the NICU yesterday for Alec's carseat test, the sweet nurse mentioned that she thought that Alec might have reflux. I had described all of his spitting and discomfort, and she saw some of it during his test. He spit a few times, even a couple hours after he last ate, and did his usual discomfort wiggle/cry. She wondered out loud if he might have reflux and described that he may have reflux, and asked what our pediatrician said about it. Well...he didn't say anything, but perhaps because I went RIGHT to the fortifier, thinking that was the issue.

So...today I called the pediatrican's office and described the above. The doctor prescribed him a reflux medication. So of course, I call our lovely neonatologist. We just love her and trust her so much. She is so thorough, and I just wanted to know what she thought of the idea he might have reflux, and whether we should still cut back on the fortifier, or do meds, etc. Our doctor went to talk with the nurse that observed Alec last night, and both agree that he likely has reflux. She said that we should go down to 22 calories in his fortfier, and to start him on the reflux meds. She said it may take a few days to see a difference. IF he has reflux, changing the formula will not help at all. We'll see how it goes!!!

Other than that, the boys are great! Momma's tired...daddy's tired, but all are well, and we are all together which is wonderful.

1 comment:

mom2themoose said...

Becki - I'm so glad to hear such great updates! I hope the reflux meds work and take care of that.
:)